A PRIVATE collection of 100 classic and vintage tractors sold for $1,177,312 at auction at Geelong, Victoria, yesterday in a packed warehouse-turned-salesroom which drew crowds from all over Australia,
Acquired by a private gentleman over many years, the collection featured over 100 restored tractors spanning 1919 to 1980.
More than 600 collectors and enthusiasts – as well as online and telephone bidders – participated in the auction with spirited bidding that set several Australian auction records.
Auction records included:
- Lot 123, a 1962 Mack B61 Thermodyne truck with Allison twin axle low loader trailer which sold for $61,040;
- Lot 33, a 1966 Minneapolis-Moline G1000 tractor which sold for $32,700;
- Lot 21, a c.1936 Heinrich Lanz – Lanz Bulldog 35 horsepower (Model N) D8500 tractor which sold for $28,340;
- Lot 39, a c.1919 Moline Plow Co. Universal Model D tractor which also sold for $28,340;
- Lot 29, John Deere LA tractor which sold for $19,620.
The collection represented a lifetime of collecting.
Almost all pieces were fully restored and presented in functioning condition, featuring vintage farm engine powered machinery, including crawlers; stationary engines and vehicles of predominantly post-war American makes and models, together with a selection of European and Australian examples.
Donington Auctions and Sales director and auctioneer, Robbie Richards, said he was thrilled with the result of over $1 million in sales and 100 per cent clearance rate.
Source: Donington Auctions and Sales