AUSTRALIAN canola growers are set to benefit from new research on CT & TT Hybrids vs OP canola.
Pacific Seeds’ Justin Kudnig examined optimising the Gross return value proposition when comparing Farmer Retained OP TT vs Hybrid CT® and TT canola with varying seed sizes and plant population targets.
Presented at the GRDC Perth update event last month, the research and field trials found:
- Grading OP TT canola seed to >2mm provides increased plant establishment, grain yield and gross returns
- Higher yielding CT and TT hybrids provide consistent higher grain yields and gross returns than OP TT varieties
- CT and TT hybrids with seed sizes of 2mm or greater than 2mm established at lower plant populations can provide higher grain yields and gross returns than OP TT varieties graded to greater than 2mm at higher plant populations.
- Contact the author: Justin Kudnig, Pacific Seeds, Ph 0408 408 816 or email: [email protected] Twitter: https://twitter.com/CaptainCanola
- Paper reviewed by: Dr David Tabah, Crop Research Lead (Canola) – Advanta Seeds Australia