DELIVERIES totalling 16,146 tonnes have been made to Viterra’s network in the month to Sunday to lift the intake from the harvest which started in October to 3,965,234t at the company’s South Australian and Victorian sites.
As of Sunday, post-harvest delivery procedure and its sites are now open by appointment only.
In its latest monthly receivals report, Viterra said it has been busy moving stock to east-coast and international markets.
“The fast pace that we are outturning grain reflects the strong demand for South Australian grain in our network.
“Compared to the same time last year, we have seen a significant increase in shipping, and rail outturns and road movements continue to more than 80 different end-use destinations.”
|Intake 3 Feb to 1 March
|Intake 1 Oct to 1 March
Viterra is making changes to its site footprint ahead of the 2020/21 harvest as the company continues its focus on best meeting the needs of its grower and buyer customers and ensuring South Australian grain is competitive in international and domestic markets.
Viterra operations manager Michael Hill said the company was responding to the changing needs and delivery patterns of growers, and adapting to the evolving environment for South Australia’s grain industry.
“We are focused on providing customers with the most efficient, cost effective and sustainable supply chain and delivering value through the services we provide,” Mr Hill said.
Viterra said it added nearly $10 million in value directly to growers through dynamic binning, reduced freight rates, and lower storage, handling and warehousing fees.
“We intend to open 55 sites for the coming harvest.
“These sites have previously taken 97 per cent of total receivals and have the capacity to manage all grower deliveries.
Viterra has announced 12 will not open this year, and will not play a future role in the company’s network.
“These are difficult decisions and where this has occurred, we are advising growers of delivery options for the 2020/21 harvest.
Mr Hills said growers were taking most of their deliveries to Viterra’s larger sites, where the company could provide more segregation options, faster elevation capacity, quicker turnaround times, longer opening hours and the ability to handle all truck configurations.
“These sites are more efficient on receival and outturn.”
“We are communicating these changes directly to growers and buyers in advance to allow them to plan their harvest operations.”
Viterra said it would have 9.8Mt of storage capacity available for the 2020/21 harvest, and would continue to provide segregations for all major crops grown in South Australia.
Mr Hill said Viterra was taking a long-term approach to ensure it could continue to provide a high level of service to growers and to attract buyers to purchase South Australian grain.
“We have invested around $200 million at our sites in the last five years.
“We will continue to invest in our people, infrastructure and services to provide the greatest value to our grower and buyer customers.”
The 12 South Australian sites which will not open this year follow Viterra’s announcement last year that it would not reopen 16 South Australian sites and one Victorian site.
Viterra has advised the future of its sites will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
In the past, its disused sites and infrastructure have been sold, leased or decommissioned.
If sites are decommissioned, work has been carried out to ensure they are safe and kept tidy.
Table 1: Sites scheduled to open for the 2020/21 harvest.
Table 2: Sites scheduled to remain closed for the 2020/21 harvest and beyond.